Password-protected files might be a hurdle in the investigation process, as forensic investigators need to crack the passwords to gain access to the locked files. Password crackers use two primary methods to identify correct passwords: brute-force and dictionary searches. When a password cracker uses brute-force, it runs through combinations of characters within a predetermined length until it finds the combination accepted by the computer system.
The objective of this lab is to provide expert knowledge in cracking password-protected files using password cracking techniques or password crackers that recover the passwords.
Ronald Smith, an employee of Advanta Pvt. Ltd., is suspected by his manager of having hidden sensitive information and company records in password-protected files, which he can later sell illicitly to competitors. In order to investigate Ronald's system, the company has hired a forensic investigator, Matthew, an employee of a reputed forensic investigation firm. In dealing with such cases, to conduct a forensic investigation Matthew needs to implement various password cracking techniques or use password crackers to gain access to the potential evidence concealed in the password-protected files.
Application Password Crackers
Computer Forensics Exercises / Application Password Crackers contains the following Exercises:
- Cracking Password Using the Password Recovery Bundle Tool
- Cracking Password Using the Advanced Office Password Recovery Tool
- Password Cracking Using the Advanced PDF Password Recovery Tool
- Cracking Password Using KRyLack Archive Password Recovery Tool
The Virtual Private Cloud for this Lab set utilizes:
Computer Forensics Exercises are available as part of the following subscription:
Each subscription provides 6 months access to 34 Different Exercises. Each exercise contains a Scenario, Objectives, and individual step by step tasks to guide the user through all steps necessary to complete the exercise. The Computer Forensics Exercises are designed to give the user an ultimate hands-on experience. Each exercise category above has it’s own Virtual Private Cloud that comes preconfigured with Vulnerable websites, Victim Machines, and the environment is LOADED with tools, we even provide investigation files, hard disk clones and targets. Included in your network share are all the supporting tools required to practice in the Cyber Range / Lab environment.
Lab exercises are included for:
- Computer Forensics Investigation Process
- Computer Forensics Lab
- Understanding Hard Disks and File Systems
- Windows Forensics
- Data Acquisition and Duplication
- Recovering Deleted Files and Partitions
- Forensics Investigation Using AccessData FTK
- Forensics Investigation Using EnCase
- Steganography and Image File Forensics
- Application Password Crackers
- Log Capturing and Event Correlation
- Network Forensics, Investigating Logs and Investigating Network Traffic
- Investigating Wireless Attacks
- Tracking & Investigating Email Crimes
- Mobile Forensics
- Investigative Reports